VMS/Massachusetts Medical Society Partnership – Special Member Discount
The Vermont Medical Society has formed a partnership with the Massachusetts Medical Society that gives VMS members a 25-percent discount on all of MMS’ online CME courses. To take advantage of this opportunity, view this tutorial, which covers topics such as searching course offerings, using the discount code, creating a user account, and course payment.
To view MMS course offerings, click here. If you have any questions about the registration or login process, please contact the MMS Continuing Education Department at (800) 322-2303, ext 7306, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Free online pain management and controlled substance CME course offerings
- S.C.O.P.E of Pain Online Trainings: Offered by Boston University School of Medicine: http://www.bumc.bu.edu/cme/educational-opportunities/online-programs/rems13/ (3 CME credits)
- Massachusetts Medical Society: Online courses on Pain Management and Prescribing Opioids: http://www.massmed.org/cme/#OPM (range from 1-6 CME Credits)
- Vermont Academic Detailing Program: Management of ADHD and Management of Insomnia (meets prescribing controlled substances requirement) http://www.uvm.edu/medicine/ahec/?Page=vermontacademicdetailing.html
- Webinars offered by Prescribers’ Clinical Support System for Opioid Therapies (PCSS-O): http://pcss-o.org/education-training/ (for programs that offer CME credit, search for upcoming or archived webinars offered by AAAP, AAPM or AAN)
Cannabis Scient and Medicine CMEs
The University of Vermont Larner College of Medicine is offering five online modules with 1-2 hours of content focused on Cannabis for therapeutic use. The online, on-demand modules can be taken a la carte, and medical professionals can earn Continuing Medical Education (CME) units for each module successfully completed.
VMS members are eligible for a 50-percent discount. To take advantage, members should: 1) Click on "Register for this Module" next to the module they would like to complete; 2) At the beginning of the registration page under "Start Your Registration" members then enter “vms” in the box that says "(If Applicable) Please Enter Discount Code;”. The system will then automatically deduct 50% off from the total price of the event; 3) Proceed as normal to register.
- Massachusetts Medical Society courses on palliative care, pain management and communication with patients (free or low cost): http://www.massmed.org/Continuing-Education-and-Events/Online-CME/Courses/Principles-of-Palliative-Care---Persistent-Pain-Management/Principles-of-Palliative-Care---Persistent-Pain-Management/
- Ariadne Labs materials and courses on Communication in Serious Illness: https://www.ariadnelabs.org/areas-of-work/serious-illness-care/
- Center to Advance Palliative Care courses on Pain Management, Symptom Management and Communication Skills at the end of life (free but must belong to a member-organization): https://www.capc.org/providers/courses/
- Courses offered by National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (fee or membership required for most courses): https://www.nhpco.org/education
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine: http://aahpm.org/education/cme
Vermont Physician Leaders Initiative
- With the generous support of the Physicians Foundation, the VMS Education & Research Foundation is able to offer a leadership curriculum to all Vermont physicians interested in affecting the future of the region’s health care delivery system. For more information, visit: http://www.vmsfoundation.org/vpli
HIPAA: Free CME Programs on Compliance (Free account and log-in to Medscape required)
- Patient Privacy: A Guide for Providers (0.5 Category 1 CME Credit) http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/781892?src=ocr
- HIPAA and You: Building a Culture of Compliance (0.5 Category 1 CME Credit) http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/762170?src=ocr
- Examining Compliance with the HIPAA Privacy Rule (0.5 Category 1 CME Credit) http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/763251?src=ocr
Medical School and State CME Programs
- University of Vermont College of Medicine
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock CME
Vermont Department of Health CME Opportunities: http://healthvermont.gov/hc/med_board/bmp.aspx and http://www.healthvermont.gov/events/index.aspx and Prescription Opioid Use Among Youth and Young Adults – Individual Clinic TA with Erica Gibson, MD, UVM. If practices are interested in scheduling a presentation, please contact the Vermont Department of Health, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Programs Julie.Wasserman@Vermont.gov .