CME Requirements & Course Resources
Each two-year licensing renewal cycle, physicians licensed by the Board of Medical Practice must certify that they have completed 30 hours of AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™, including 1-hour addressing palliative care, hospice care OR pain management AND 2 hours addressing prescribing controlled substances for physicians with DEA registrations. These two subject-specific activities count toward the 30-hour requirement. Links to the Board’s CME Rules can be found here.
Please contact VMS or the Vermont Board of Medical Practice if you have questions about the renewal process or CME requirements.
Opportunities to Meet CME Requirements
Prescribing Controlled Substance Offerings - Online – Free
- 2 CME credits per training. Boston University School of Medicine. S.C.O.P.E of Pain Trainings.
- Up to 10 CME credits. NEJM Knowledge+ Pain Management and Opioids Course.
- Some topics meet prescribing controlled substances requirements. The University of Vermont Larner College of Medicine. Vermont Academic Detailing Program.
- A range of AMA PRA Category 1 Credits. Providers Clinical Support System. Substance use, pain management, medication adherence etc.
Palliative Care Offerings Online – Free or Low Cost
- Range of AMA PRA Category 1 Credits. Massachusetts Medical Society. Palliative care, pain management, and communication with patients.
- Ariadne Labs materials. Communication in Serious Illness.
- Range of AMA PRA Category 1 Credits, Alzheimer's Association, free Clinical Education offerings
- Free if you belong to a member-organization. Center to Advance Palliative Care. Pain Management, Symptom Management and Communication Skills at the End of Life.
- Free, but membership required. National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization.
- Starting at $20, range of CME credits. American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. Evidence-based AAHPM sessions, hosted by Relias.
General CME Offerings - Online – Free
- Account required. For more info on claiming CME. Medscape Education. Multi-Specialty Courses.
- Membership required. American Medical Association Ed Hub. Comprehensive portfolio of more than 2,000 online CME activities, including free CME for AMA STEPS Forward™.
Vermont Physician Executive Leadership Institute:
- With the generous support of the Physicians Foundation, the VMS Education & Research Foundation is able to offer a leadership curriculum to Vermont physicians interested in affecting the future of the region’s health care delivery system.
Massachusetts Medical Society Partnership- Online - Special Member Discount
The Vermont Medical Society has formed a partnership with the Massachusetts Medical Society which provides VMS Members a 25% discount on all of MMS’ online CME courses. To take advantage of this opportunity, please view this tutorial. It covers topics, such as searching course offerings, using the discount code, creating a user account, and course payment.
Use code VMSCME20
To view MMS’ course offerings, click here. If you have any questions about the registration or login process, please contact the MMS Continuing Education Department at (800) 322-2303, ext #7306, or via email at email@example.com.
Medical School and State CME Programs:
- University of Vermont College of Medicine
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock CME
- Vermont Department of Health CME Opportunities
HIPAA Compliance - Online - Free Medscape Account + (phone app info)
To view current CME courses and details, you must create an account first.
- Patient Privacy: A Guide for Providers (0.5 Category 1 CME Credit)
- HIPAA and You: Building a Culture of Compliance (0.5 Category 1 CME Credit)
- Examining Compliance with the HIPAA Privacy Rule (0.5 Category 1 CME Credit)