How do we support our physicians being able to care for their patients?
VMS is committed to supporting a community of fully thriving and engaged clinicians across Vermont.
NEW! VMS Offers Facilitated Well-Being Gatherings to Vermont Practices
Supported by grant funding from the Physician Foundation, VMS is able to offer clinician well-being gatherings at Vermont practices this Spring. Gatherings can be hosted by individual practices or groups of practices that want to offer their clinical staff peer support during this stressful time. At the session, Lumunoswellbeing facilitators will provide an interactive experience of peer support; share ideas and resources for how groups of clinicians, practices, health systems or individuals can create a peer support structure moving forward; and provide additional tools and resources for clinician well-being. Program content and length can be tailored to your practice’s needs. For more information, see program flyer or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the Individual - Find your passion and peer group
- Physician Executive Leadership Institute Foundational Course
- Peer networking
- Host a regional gathering
- Attend a regional facilitated meeting by Lumunos Well Being
- Start a Finding Meaning in Medicine group
- Seek help if needed: VT Mental Health Crisis Lines
- Vermont Practitioner Health Program
- Suicide Prevention Resources
- Your Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
For the Organization
- Establish wellness as a quality indicator for your practice
- Start a wellness committee and/or choose a wellness champion
- Distribute an annual wellness survey
- Meet regularly with leaders and/or staff to discuss data and interventions to promote wellness
- Initiate selected interventions, such as workflow redesign; better communication between practitioners in your practice and quality improvement projects targeted to address clinician concerns
- Repeat the survey within the year to re-evaluate wellness
- Seek answers within the data, refine the interventions and continue to make improvements
From: American Medical Association, Steps Forward Physician Burnout Improve Physician Satisfaction and Patient Outcomes.
See this module for more information on each of these steps
Ask your health system to commit to promoting physician well-being
For the Health Care System
- Join VMS’ advocacy efforts to reduce administrative burden: align payment with clinician time and patient outcomes; streamline quality measures; reduce prior authorization
- AMA presentation at 2019 VMS Wellness Summit
- 2019 VMS Webinar by Robert McLellan, MD
- National Academy of Medicine Clinician Resilience and Well-Being Resources (includes background data, instruments to assess wellbeing, research, and toolkits)
- AMA Steps Forward Modules: Professional Well-Being
- Mayo Clinic Program on Physician Well-being
- Stanford Medicine WellMD Center